Why Get Pre-Qualified?
1. Pre-qualification acts as a dry run of the loan application process. The mortgage lender will use details you provide about your credit, income, assets and debts to arrive at an estimate of how much mortgage you can afford. The whole process may take only minutes or a few hours at most, and is free.
2. While a "pre-qual" is non-binding to the lender (because the information you provide has not been verified), it does serve as a good indication to potential sellers of your general creditworthiness.
3. These days most sellers will NOT accept an offer without at least a pre-approval letter, so if you are serious about buying this is the first step towards getting you in your new home.
PREPARING FOR THE LENDER
Below is a general list of items that you should be gathering to meet and supply all information to your lender.
- Full names of all purchasers as they are to appear on title.
- Social security numbers of all purchasers.
- Present residence address for all purchasers.
- Previous address for all purchasers going back two years if they have not resided in the present home for two years.
- Home, office, and cell phone numbers.
- Present Employer: Name, address and a contact person to send employment verification form.
- Explanation for any gap during 2-year history.
- Relocation letter for any transferees – giving date, salary, new location, and any relocation benefits.
- Previous Employer: Name, address, and a contact person, going back 2 years if not in present job 2 full years.
- Present Salary: Year to date pay stub and last 2 years’ W-2s If any variable income, commission, part-time income, bonus, overtime, interest income, etc., is being used to qualify: 2 years signed federal tax returns and W-2s and/or 1099s.
- If self-employed: 2 years signed federal individual and corporate returns (if applicable). Also, a profit and loss statement and balance sheet. Diploma or transcript if student during 2-year period.
- Rental Income: Copy of lease which is current and at least one year in length.
- Real Estate: Address and market value. If free and clear, deed of release, deed or mortgage payoff.
- Present Home: Copy of sales contract, settlement sheet and/or lease.
- Gift Letter: Form will be provided by financial Donor Capacity must be verified. Receipt of funds must be shown in account.
- Bank Accounts: Name of bank, address, account numbers, types of accounts, and present balances. With checking, use average balances.
- Copy of two most recent statements of all accounts.
- Stocks and Bonds: Copy of certificates or copy of recent (within 30 days) broker statement listing the holdings. Life Insurance: Cash value, only if being used for down payment.
- Vehicles: Year, make, and value. Copy of title if under 4 years old with no outstanding lien.
- Alimony and Child Support (only if used for qualification): Copy of divorce decree and property settlement (ratified) setting out terms. Proof of payment will also be requested at application.
- Income from Notes Held: A copy of the ratified note.
- Retirement, Social Security and Disability Income:
- Copy of award letter and latest check showing amount of present payment. Copy of end of year statement if applicable.
- Credit Cards: Account numbers and outstanding balances.
- Loans (Auto, Mortgage, Personal, Student, etc.):
- Name of institution, address, account numbers, outstanding balances, monthly payments, months left on loan. Copy of next payment coupon. 12 months statements or canceled checks for present mortgage.
- Alimony and Child Support: Copy of Ratified Decree and property settlement setting out terms.
- Certificate of Eligibility: To obtain certificate, you will need a DD-214 (Separation of Service) or if in the Service, you will need a Statement of Service signed by Commanding Officer or Personnel Officer (certificate must be updated prior to application).
- If in service, you will need Authorization to Live Off Base (DD-1717 from Housing Office)
For more information about lending please feel free to contact Kelly Lawson directly or her lending partner Janet Thomason